Building Blocks (formerly Session 1) provides a thorough but introductory overview into the field of cooperative development. This session lays out the basics of the cooperative model, including governance, feasibility, business basics, and memberships. We’ll cover topics ranging from cooperative history to building your cooperative ecosystem. Participants will learn from case studies that delve into particular topics in co-op development, such as investment cooperatives, conversions, and assisting groups in low-resource communities. Additionally, tours to local co-ops and ample networking opportunities this intensive, productive, and meaningful training. This offering of Building Blocks draws trainers, case studies, and co-op issues from the western US. States included in the Western US are Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
With the pandemic still affecting our ability to travel and gather, as well as budget, CooperationWorks is transforming our four-day in-person training into a virtual training held on eight days over the course of a month. While this is the same cohesive and robust training we’ve offered in the past, this format allows participants to register for and participate in select days if they are unable to attend the entire training. Registration for will only be open for the entire training until Monday, June 14th. After that, participants may register for individual days.
- June 30th, Wednesday – Building the Network: Overview, Intros, and Networking
- July 6th, Tuesday – Co-ops 101: The Basics Day!
- July 8th, Thursday – It’s Business Time: The Business Day!
- July 12th, Monday – Cooperation Works?: The People Day!
- July 14th, Wednesday – Will It Work?: The Feasibility Day!
- July 16th, Friday – All the Power to All the People: The Case Studies Day!
- July 19th, Monday & July 21st, Wednesday – Break It Down Now: The Co-op Sectors Days!
- July 23rd, Friday – Build It to Last: The Ecosystem Day!