The Cooperation Group is a nonprofit enterprise whose mission is to assist in the economic self-determination of people who desire a more inclusive economy. Founded by B. Anthony Holley of Detroit, Lisa Stolarski of Highland Park and Brian Donovan of Highland Park, we provide technical assistance for new and established businesses, specializing in cooperative start-up and development. We also facilitate the creation of secondary infrastructure to support all kinds of cooperatives and seek to normalize cooperative business models in local communities though the education of private and public institutions.
The Cooperation Group adheres to the Madison Principles, the cooperative development consultants’ code of ethics.
The Cooperation Group has experience providing the following services to newly forming co-ops and organizations supporting the cooperative economy:
- Technical assistance for all kinds of co-ops including worker, consumer and producer ownership models
- Industry experience in the food, farm, service, housing and financial sectors
- Co-op education for co-op members, managers and boards as well as community groups, nonprofits and funders
- Co-op start-up training for steering committees and nonprofits assisting with co-op development
- Feasibility studies, including market studies, financial projections and business planning assistance
- Member drive planning, member event planning and member education
- Board election training, governance training and board retreats
- Co-op project fund-raising assistance and consultation on co-op project capitalization
- Strategic planning retreats for new co-ops and nonprofits assisting in local co-op development
- Cross-sector infrastructure building for co-ops of all kinds.