- This event has passed.
Building Blocks Online
June 30 @ 9:00 am - July 23 @ 2:00 pm| $1200
Building Blocks (formerly Session 1) provides a thorough but introductory overview into the field of cooperative development. This session lays out the basics of the cooperative model, including governance, feasibility, business basics, and memberships. We’ll cover topics ranging from cooperative history to building your cooperative ecosystem. Participants will learn from case studies that delve into particular topics in co-op development, such as investment cooperatives, conversions, and assisting groups in low-resource communities. Additionally, tours to local co-ops and ample networking opportunities this intensive, productive, and meaningful training.
As COVID-19 has forced us all to change our plans, CooperationWorks is transforming our four-day in-person training into a virtual training held on eight days over the course of a month. While this is the same cohesive and robust training we’ve offered in the past, this format allows participants to register for and participate in select days if they are unable to attend the entire training. Registering for the complete course comes with a significant discount. Length of each day varies, but each day will being at 9am PT/12pm ET and end approximately by 2pm PT/5pm ET. Some exceptions apply.
- June 30th, Tues.: Co-ops 101: The Basics Day!
- Co-ops 101 (1.5 hours)
- Co-op History (2 hours)
- Tax and Legal Intro (1.5 hours)
- Register for Co-ops 101: The Basics Day!
- July 2nd, Thurs.: Cooperation Works?: The People Day!
- Cooperative Governance (2 hours)
- Group Dynamics (2.5 hours)
- Register for CooperationWorks!: The People Day!
- July 7th, Tues.: Business Time: The Business Day!
- Cooperative Business Basics (1.75 hours)
- Co-op Accounting (1.75 hours)
- Tax & Legal Deep Dive (1.75 hours)
- Register for Business Time: The Business Day!
- July 9th, Thurs.: Feasibility: The “Will It Work?” Day!
- Assessing Feasibility (2.5 hours)
- Register for Feasibility: The “Will It Work?” Day!
- July 14th, Tues.: Co-op Sectors I: The General, Consumer, and Worker Day!
- Cooperative Sectors (1 hour)
- Worker Cooperatives (1 hour)
- Consumer Cooperatives (1 hour)
- July 16th, Thurs.: Co-op Sectors II: The Service, Housing, and Producer Day!
- Housing Cooperatives (1 hour)
- Service Cooperatives (1 hour)
- Producer Cooperatives (1 hour)
- Register for Cooperative Sectors I & II!
- July 21st, Tues.: All the Power to All the People: The Case Studies Day!
- Worker Cooperative Case Study (1.5 hours)
- Food Cooperative Case Study (1.5 hours)
- Real Estate Cooperative Case Study (1.5 hours)
- Register for All the Power to All the People: The Case Studies Day!
- July 23rd, Thurs.: Cooperative Ecosystems: The “Build-It-To-Last” Day!
- Cooperative Ecosystems (2 hours)
- Co-op Ecosystem Case Study: Philadelphia (2 hours)
- Register for Cooperative Ecosystems: the “Build It to Last” Day!