Our foundational training on co-op development and the first in our Art and Science of Cooperative Development series, Building Blocks is back! We’ll be offering this virtual program from June 21st-July 21st, 2022.
You can register for the program here. We’re offering a $100 early bird discount on registrations until Friday, May 13th!
Limited scholarships are available. If you require financial assistance, please fill out and submit this application by Friday, May 6th!
Building Blocks (formerly Session 1) provides a thorough but introductory overview into the field of cooperative development. This session lays out the basics of the cooperative model, including governance, feasibility, business basics, and memberships. We’ll cover topics ranging from cooperative history to building your cooperative ecosystem. Participants will learn from case studies that delve into particular topics in co-op development, such as investment cooperatives, conversions, and assisting groups in low-resource communities. Additionally, tours to local co-ops and ample networking opportunities this intensive, productive, and meaningful training.
While we’re optimistic, we don’t know what the COVID variants are going to do! To remain accessible to more people, we’re keeping Building Blocks online this year. We hope to gather in person by 2023! Check out the rough schedule below. Find the detailed agenda here.
Building Blocks 2022 Dates
- Tuesday, June 21st: Welcome, Networking, and Co-ops 101
- Thursday, June 23rd: Cooperative Movement Through History and Group Dynamic in a Cooperative Setting
- Tuesday, June 28th: Tax & Legal Environment for Cooperatives, Intro to Co-op Accounting, Group Work
- Thursday, June 30th: Cooperative Governance and Cooperative Business Basics
- Tuesday, July 5th: No session
- Thursday, July 7th: Intro to Feasibility for Start-up Cooperatives
- Tuesday, July 12th: Cooperative Sectors
- Thursday, July 14th: Cooperative Sectors, Continued
- Tuesday, July 19th: Cooperative Case Studies
- Thursday, July 21st: Assessing and Building Cooperative Ecosystems, Wrap-up
Building Blocks Online is coming to a computer near you from June 21st-July 21st, 2022!
We are always looking for new, innovative, and experienced trainers. Here are some of the folks who helped make our trainings world-class:
- Darnell Adams, Principal/Worker-Owner, Firebrand Cooperative
- Margaret Bau, Cooperative Development Specialist, USDA-Rural Development
- Maru Bautista, Independent Consultant
- Courtney Berner, Executive Director, University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives
- Jamie Duong, Bookkeeper/Principal, Resolve Cooperative
- Jessica Gordon Nembhard, Professor of Community Justice and Social Economic Development, John Jay College, City University of NY
- Brel Hutton-Okpalaeke, Director of Development Services, NASCO
- Margaret Lund, Principal, Co-opera
- Nat Marineau Begej, Principal, Solanum
- Ojan Mobedshahi, Finance Director, East Bay Permanent Real Estate Cooperative
- Luis Sierra, Cooperative Development Specialist, Northwest Cooperative Development Center
- Jason Wiener, President, Jason Wiener|p.c. a public benefit corporation