REGISTRATION FOR ALL BUILDING BLOCKS ONLINE 2021 PROGRAMS NOW OPEN!
Midwestern Regional Registration has been extended to Friday, September 24th, 2021!
Register for Individual Days for Building Blocks Online Midwestern Regional:
- October 12th, Tuesday– Building the Network: Overview, Intros, and Networking
- October13th, Wednesday– Co-ops 101: The Basics Day!
- October 15th, Friday– It’s Business Time: The Business Day!
- October 18th, Monday– Cooperation Works?: The People Day!
- October 20th, Wednesday– Will It Work?: The Feasibility Day!
- October 22nd, Friday– All the Power to All the People: The Case Studies Day!
- October 25th, Monday & 27th, Wednesday– Break It Down Now: The Co-op Sectors Days!
- October 29th, Friday– Build It to Last: The Ecosystem Day!
In 2021, Building Blocks Online will be offered fourt times as part of a program expansion aim at training up co-op developers to tackle the economic recovery in an equitable, sustainable way. We’re proud to offer Building Blocks for a Cooperative Economy starting in summer 2021 with support from the Cooperative Development Foundation and CHS Foundation.
Building Blocks Online is being offered four times throughout 2021, with each offering focusing on a specific US region. Anyone is welcome to take any of the sessions, but registering for the one in your region may contain more local trainers and case studies, and will connect you with other co-op developers in your immediate region.
Participants in need of financial assistance can submit a scholarship application. Deadlines vary depending on which session you are applying for.
Los participantes que necesiten asistencia financiera pueden presentar una solicitud de beca. Los plazos varían según la sesión a la que asista.
Building Blocks (formerly Session 1) provides a thorough but introductory overview into the field of cooperative development. This session lays out the basics of the cooperative model, including governance, feasibility, business basics, and memberships. We’ll cover topics ranging from cooperative history to building your cooperative ecosystem. Participants will learn from case studies that delve into particular topics in co-op development, such as investment cooperatives, conversions, and assisting groups in low-resource communities. Additionally, tours to local co-ops and ample networking opportunities this intensive, productive, and meaningful training.
With the pandemic still impacting ability to travel and gather, as well as budgets, CooperationWorks has transformed our four-day in-person training into a virtual training held on nine days over the course of a month. While this is the same cohesive and robust training we’ve offered in the past, this format allows participants to register for and participate in select days if they are unable to attend the entire training. Registration for individual days will open on Monday, June 14th. Registering for the complete course comes with a significant discount. Please go to registration for each training to see the specific days and times for each course. The course looks roughly as follows:
- Day 1 – Building the Network: Overview, Intros, and Networking
- Day 2 – Co-ops 101: The Basics Day!
- Day 3- It’s Business Time: The Business Day!
- Day 4 – Cooperation Works?: The People Day!
- Day 5 – Will It Work?: The Feasibility Day!
- Day 6 – All the Power to All the People: The Case Studies Day!
- Days 7&8 – Break It Down Now: The Co-op Sectors Days!
- Day 9 – Build It to Last: The Ecosystem Day!
Building Blocks Online will be held four times in 2021 via Zoom. Each session has a regional focus, but is open to all. The dates are as follows:
- Building Blocks Online: Midwestern Regional – October 12th-29th
Check out trainers for Building Blocks 2021: the Western US. More will be added shortly!
- Courtney Berner, Executive Director, University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives
- Margaret Bau, Cooperative Developer, USDA-Rural Development
- Brel Hutton-Okpalaeke, Director of Development Services, NASCO
- Nat Marineau Begej, Cooperative Educator
- Margaret Lund, Principal, Co-opera
- Briana Sydney, Mandela Grocery Cooperative
- James Bell, Mandela Grocery Cooperative
- Cherrelle Gardner, Co-op Dayton
- Darnell Adams, Firebrand Cooperative
- Rebecca Bauer, Democracy at Work Institute
- Ojan Mobedshahi, East Bay Permanent Real Estate Cooperative
- Kandis Quam, Ancestral Rich Treasure of Zuni (ARTZ) Cooperative
The tuition for Building Blocks Online is $1200. All programs have an early bird registration discount and limited scholarships available. Please see below for deadlines. Please find the scholarship application in English and Español.
Midwestern Regional: October 12th-29th, 2021
Early Bird Registration Deadline: September 7th, 2021
Scholarship Deadline: September 6th, 2021
Friday, September 24th, is the last day to register for the final Building Blocks Online Session of the year!