For 2023, CW is excited to offer Building Blocks as a Hybrid Program. There will be virtual sessions throughout July and a live, in-person 2-day session in Oakland, CA September 19-20. Register for the full both, or just the hybrid or in-person sessions! Learn more below. Early bird registration discounts apply until Monday, June 5th.
Building Blocks (formerly Session 1) provides a thorough but introductory overview into the field of cooperative development. This session lays out the basics of the cooperative model, including governance, feasibility, business basics, and memberships. We’ll cover topics ranging from cooperative history to building your cooperative ecosystem. Participants will learn from case studies that delve into particular topics in co-op development, such as investment cooperatives, conversions, and assisting groups in low-resource communities. Additionally, tours to local co-ops and ample networking opportunities this intensive, productive, and meaningful training.
Participants can register for the full program, the virtual program, or the in-person program of Building Blocks Hybrid 2023. The virtual portion includes a 4-week program running from July 6th-27th, 2023 that will be held over Zoom. Please see the agenda for this here. The in-person portion includes a 2-day intensive held in Oakland, CA from September 19-20th that will include a day of site visits to co-ops around the Bay Area.
Participants registering for the Full and/or In-person programs canbook a room with our room block here. The Courtyard Marriott in centrally located in Downtown Oakland, close to our meeting space, and easily accessible by public transit. Single and double rooms are available. Participants should plan to arrive in Oakland on Monday, September 18th and depart on Thursday, September 21st. Rooms must be booked by August 28th.
Please note that the cost of tuition does not cover airfare or lodging. It does include food throughout the two days of the program.
Virtual Programming will be held as follows:
- Thursday, July 6th: 12pm-3pm PT
- Tuesday, July 11th: 12pm-2:30pm PT
- Thursday, July 13th: 12pm-2pm PT
- Tuesday, July 18th: 12pm-2pmPT
- Thursday, July 20th: 12pm-2pm PT
- Tuesday, July 25th: 12-3pm PT
- Thursday, July 27th: 12-3pm PT
We have limited scholarships available for participants with financial need. Please fill out and return this form to Alex by Wednesday, May 31st. Scholarships for this program are made possible by the generosity of CoBank, the Ralph K. Morris Foundation, Cooperative Development Foundation, and National Cooperative Bank.
Tuition for Building Blocks 2023 is as follows:
- Full Program: $1500
- Virtual Only: $1000
- In-person Only: $800
Register by Monday, June 5th to access early bird discounts. These are $100 for the full program and $50 for the in-person and virtual-only components.
Tuition does not include the cost of transit or lodging.
Building Blocks Hybrid 2023 will be offered via Zoom from July 6th-27th and in-person in Oakland, CA September 19-20th.
We are always looking for new, innovative, and experienced trainers. Here are some of the folks who helped make our trainings world-class:
- Margaret Bau, Cooperative Development Specialist, USDA-Rural Development
- Courtney Berner, Executive Director, University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives
- Jamie Duong, Bookkeeper/Principal, Resolve Cooperative
- Jessica Gordon Nembhard, Professor of Community Justice and Social Economic Development, John Jay College, City University of NY
- Margaret Lund, Principal, Co-opera
- Ojan Mobedshahi, Finance Director, East Bay Permanent Real Estate Cooperative
- Cherrelle Gardner, Program Director, Co-op Dayton
- Jason Wiener, President, Jason Wiener|p.c. a public benefit corporation