REGISTRATION FOR BUILDING BLOCKS ONLINE: WESTERN US IS NOW OPEN!!!
In 2021, Building Blocks Online will be offered fourt times as part of a program expansion aim at training up co-op developers to tackle the economic recovery in an equitable, sustainable way. We’re proud to offer Building Blocks for a Cooperative Economy starting in summer 2021 with support from the Cooperative Development Foundation and CHS Foundation.
The first offering of Building Blocks Online 2021 will be held from June 30th-July 23rd. This course will focus on the western US and co-opers in this area are encouraged to enroll! Anyone can register when registration opens on Monday, May 10th, 2021.
Participants in need of financial assistance can submit a scholarship application by May 28th, 2021.
Building Blocks (formerly Session 1) provides a thorough but introductory overview into the field of cooperative development. This session lays out the basics of the cooperative model, including governance, feasibility, business basics, and memberships. We’ll cover topics ranging from cooperative history to building your cooperative ecosystem. Participants will learn from case studies that delve into particular topics in co-op development, such as investment cooperatives, conversions, and assisting groups in low-resource communities. Additionally, tours to local co-ops and ample networking opportunities this intensive, productive, and meaningful training.
As COVID-19 has forced us all to change our plans, CooperationWorks is transforming our four-day in-person training into a virtual training held on eight days over the course of a month. While this is the same cohesive and robust training we’ve offered in the past, this format allows participants to register for and participate in select days if they are unable to attend the entire training. Registering for the complete course comes with a significant discount.
- June 30th, Wednesday – Building the Network: Overview, Intros, and Networking
- July 6th, Tuesday – Co-ops 101: The Basics Day!
- July 8th, Thursday – It’s Business Time: The Business Day!
- July 12th, Monday – Cooperation Works?: The People Day!
- July 14th, Wednesday – Will It Work?: The Feasibility Day!
- July 16th, Friday – All the Power to All the People: The Case Studies Day!
- July 19th, Monday & July 21st, Wednesday – Break It Down Now: The Co-op Sectors Days!
- July 23rd, Friday – Build It to Last: The Ecosystem Day!
Building Blocks Online will be held four times in 2021 via Zoom. The first offering, highligh co-op development in the Western US, will be held from June 30th-July 23rd.
Check out trainers for Building Blocks 2021: the Western US. More will be added shortly!
- Courtney Berner, Executive Director, University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives
- Margaret Bau, Cooperative Developer, USDA-Rural Development
- Brel Hutton-Okpalaeke, Director of Development Services, NASCO
- Nat Marineau Beget, Cooperative Educator
- Margaret Lund, Principal, Co-opera
Building Blocks 2021 will be offered as four separate programs tailored toward different regions. The first program will be offered June 30th-July 23rd and will focus on the western US. Registration opens May 10th. If you register by Monday, May 31st, the early bird tuition is $1100. Starting June 1st, registation will be $1200.
There are limited scholarships available. Participants in need of financial assistance can submit a scholarship application by May 28th, 2021.