What We Do
CooperationWorks! — or CW for short — is the Center of Excellence for cooperative business development. We are a dynamic and innovative national cooperative created to grow the cooperative model across the United States. We envision a society in which thriving, cooperatively-owned enterprises are the bridge to a just, resilient democracy. Our mission is to strengthen America’s cooperative movement by building and empowering a network of skilled cooperative development practitioners.
CW members, a national network of Cooperative Development Centers, work together to revitalize communities through effective cooperative enterprise development. Members provide expertise across all aspects of cooperative development, including feasibility analysis, business plan development, training and education. The network enables members to share expertise, develop and refine best practices, and to regularly engage in peer-to-peer learning.
CW offers critical cooperative development training, accessible to members and non-members alike. Our flagship training, The Art and Science of Cooperative Development, is a cross-sector program that prepares participants to assist groups in creating their co-ops.
CW advocates for co-ops on a national level, working with partners like the National Cooperative Business Association and the US Department of Agriculture. Our varied allies help us bring the good news about the values and benefits of the cooperative business model to leaders in the public and private sectors.
Who We Are
CooperationWorks! is a national network made up of organizational and individual members working in cooperative development. Our members provide everything from board trainings to business planning for new and growing co-ops. You can use our search tool to find a developer near you who can provide technical assistance to your co-op.
If you’re interested in becoming a cooperative developer, we offer a plethora of continuing education opportunities ranging from webinars to formal, multi-session certified trainings.
Staff & Board of Directors
In addition to adhering to the Cooperative Principles and the Madison Principles, CW identifies its core values as outlined below:
- Cooperation: The power of people to improve their lives through shared action and teamwork.
- Integrity: Fairness; justice; honesty; reflection and honest self-assessment; accountability.
- Welcome diversity: Patient; inclusive; fair; loving; diversity of experience, ideas, cultures and projects.
- Excellence and quality: Commitment to the best rather than the good; leadership.
- Innovation: Creative; leading edge; intelligence; pragmatic.
- Service: Brave leadership; sustainability; service to individuals, the environment and our communities; accountable